- Soak the rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds in enough water in a deep bowl for 3 hours. Drain well.
- Blend in a mixer to smooth paste using approx. ¾ cup of water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl and keep aside. Add the salt and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and ferment in a warm place for 10 to 12 hours.
- Once the batter is fermented, add the bananas and sugar and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it off gently using a cloth.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on the tava (griddle), spread in a circular motion to make a 125 mm. (5″) thick uttapa and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Smear little ghee evenly all over, sprinkle 1 tsp of coconut and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Turn over and cook on the other side till it turns light brown in colour.
- Repeat steps 7 to 10 to make 7 more uttapas.
- Serve immediately.
Sourced from Tarla Dalal